If your Exchange 2007 Transport Service keeps stopping it could be that edgetransport is trying to create the database in the wrong location. To check this, look for Event ID 7002 (Database Transport Mail Database is already in use. ), this should follow several errors with Event ID 483. The Event 483 should mention "edgetransport (9256) Transport Mail Database: An attempt to create the folder "C:\Windows\system32\%ExchangeInstallDir%TransportRoles\" failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ". The create folder operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8)"
To resolve this follow the below steps
- Stop all Microsoft Exchange Services
- Browse to your exchange program folder (normally C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin)
- Find the "EdgeTransport.exe.config" file and open this with WordPad
- Search for "C:\Windows\system32\%ExchangeInstallDir%TransportRoles\" within the config file.
- Change anything that mentions the path in step 4 to your Exchange Transport folder, this is normally "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles"
- Start all the Microsoft Exchange Services
- Wait a few minutes and try to telnet/send/receive an email.
This should resolve the problem and the Transport service should stay started.