- DON'T - turning off a server without it being properly shutdown can result in data corruption and in extreme cases this can prevent the server starting back up and will require an engineer to attend on-site.
- CALL the helpdesk for any server issue. The helpdesk will determine is the server is only recoverable by rebooting. It may still be accessible by an engineer who can initiate a safe reboot if necessary.
- UNPLUG any USB devices such as backup drives. Servers often try to boot from USB drives which can prevent it starting back up after a reboot.
- ALLOW anything between 5 and 15 minutes before full services are restored.
- LOG-OFF - if you have any issues after a server reboot, logging off and trying again can often solve this. If the issue persists, try rebooting the computer. After this, contact the helpdesk if you are still having problems.
Have more questions? Submit a request