- Open the Services applet from the 'Administrator Tools' menu; or by right-clicking on 'My Computer' and selecting 'Manage', and then click on 'Services and Applications', then 'Services'.
- Locate the service in question, for this example I will use the SMTP "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol"
- Double click on that service and you will see the short name of the service, in our example the short service name is SMTPSVC
- Open a Command prompt window, (start, run, CMD or COMMAND)
- Type the following without quotes, 'sc queryex SMTPSVC' and press enter. Take down a note of the PID number for this next step
- Type the following without quotes 'taskkill /PID 8784 /F' Replace the example PID with the PID of the service you are trying to kill, /F is used for force the termination of the service in question
Note; you will get a notice similar to the following if the command was successful:
SUCCESS: The process with PID 8784 has been terminated
Have more questions? Submit a request