If you are experiencing problems with Windows Updates constantly trying to restart, run through the below steps to resolve the problem.
- Stop the Automatic Updates Service.
- Delete: Windows\Software Distribution
- Delete files in Windows\Downloaded Program Files (leave the folder)
- Start the Automatic Updates Service.
- Go to the Windows Update website (Safety, Windows Updates) > Upgrade to Microsoft Update (if not already done)
- Search registry for any key called RebootRequired and delete the entire key and contents. (This search can take a while)
- Restart Automatic Updates Service.
- Go to Microsoft Update website (Safety, Windows Updates) and install outstanding updates.